Sunday, November 17, 2013

:: November ::

Hello! So sorry to have been gone so long.....
November arrived for me with a huge grey cloud hanging over head and that was closely joined by the dreaded black dog.  The cloud is still here, perhaps a paler shade of grey and I've shooed away the black dog. I am praying for blue skies like we enjoyed today for the rest of the month.  It has not been a good month so far, but with 13 days left I'm determined it will get better.

Today while the sun shone, the boys cooked the most delicious sausages on Big J's dinky fold up stove.
Whilst the boys cooked sausages I made an enormous mess sewing on the dining room table.  Oh how I wish I had my on little crafting space.  Tidying up after each session has a tendency to darken the grey cloud and stop me from wanting to sew. Perhaps if I had tidier tendencies, it wouldn't be such a problem!
It was actually a lovely sewing session, making what I enjoy making most - another bag!!!  Hopefully not to be slung to the back of the cupboard when I am done.
I decided enough was enough, hoarding found treasures is no fun when they are tucked away in drawers, so I embellished my bag with the tiny doily I found with the Singer 24 sewing machine I rescued last year. Whilst rummaging for the tiny doily, I rediscovered some rather sweet, but slight odd buttons I bought at the Fort Frederick Market fair in the spring.  They are very sweet to look at, but considering they are made from real elks teeth, I find them a wee bit odd. 
For a change I've left my mess on the table and we ate our sausages in front of the telly, such a treat for us.
On a completely different note, last weekend, in a last ditch attempt to extract the men folk from their video games and to get me outside in the sunshine they had a real treat, while I hid in the car with hearing protection.

 Yes, that's Little J loading his gun at the shooting range.  It's only a 22, but when I say that, he and I both know it is very deadly, but not very noisy compared to the other guns at the range.  As you can see, he happily wears both hearing and eye protection.  He is very sensible when it comes to his gun and this is a REAL treat for him, only the second time he has fired it.  Most kids his age (boys and girls) in our area frequently go hunting with their family members.
 Big J doesn't have a gun, but he was happy to take turns with Little J's and the Misters.  Love how Little J is always so serious - a good thing in my books.  
 So whilst the boys blasted their ears and practiced their aim, I hid in the car and did a little hooking in the sunshine.
A lovely morning was had by all!

Sorry of this post started rather glum and then got off on an odd topic, I do find it rather therapeutic to say how I really am feeling and I thank you all for listening/reading.  I do hope weren't too shocked to see what my boys get up to, but I do like to document these moments, a bit like writing in a little diary.

Wishing all is well with you!

Thank you SO much for stopping by after my little absence.

Toodles...L x ♥

8 comments:

  1. Hi Louise I hope the old black dog is well shooed out - he is a regular visitor in my life too, hanging around outside our door at this moment. But I keep thinking that he has been around for so long he has no where else to go so I try to feel sorry for him! I am glad that you and your lovely family were able to get out and about in the sunshine. Cannot wait to see your lovely bag, it does look sweet. I have the tiniest room imaginable and cannot really set up the machine there so sew in the dining room, not a good option as everything has to be put away when I have finished. I long for a bigger space or a completely customised sewing space - how lovely it would be for both of us. Keep your chin up Louise, maybe your dog is the one waiting outside my door now so relax and enjoy the time he is on one of his doggy holidays, bothering someone else. Big hugs, remember you are not on your own with this Louise - we are all here for you.
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dorothy for your kind words, they have made me smile. i love your thought of the black dog and now when I feel him close by I'll remember them and smile and feel sorry for him too!

      Delete
  2. I think your black dog has lots of relations as he appears this side of the pond too or if not him then one of his cousins. But I sometimes think that those he visits appreciate his holidays more than those who never see him. I do hope you have some more sunny days and so build up a reserve of happy memories to shoo your dog away if and when he returns as of course he will at times if he is anything like his English relation!! Love your little bag and your colourful crochet can't wait to see both when they are finished. I think of you often when I see my little embroidered patchwork on my kitchen cupboard each day. Keep smiling and I am sure your positive attitude and cheerfulness will make dog think twice about coming back any time soon! By the way I do have a tiny work room but like Dorothy I ususally do my stitching elsewhere but it does at least mean I can leave my "ingredients" spread out and don't have to keep clearing up every time we want a meal or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, Yes, I agree the silly black dog must be everywhere! I'm glad you love your little embroidery, it was such a treat to make. I've not done any since, but I must try my hand at it again once the holidays are over.

      Delete
  3. My dear Louise, how pleased I am to have found you. We have a share in the Black Dog's life. He (or maybe she, I feel he is male) certainly gets around.
    Did our parents generation have this many cousins? Winston Churchill was amongst our number and so is dear Stephen Fry, so we can't be all that bad, can we dear cousin?
    I am really looking forward to seeing your bag. I have made 3 different ones this weekend as Christmas gifts.
    I would dearly love to learn how to shoot, but not at animals just targets. How great that your boys can enjoy such freedom.
    The crochet looks fab. I have just ordered a pack of yarn to make a rainbow Granny blanket. Just got to learn how to crochet first ;0)
    Hugs
    Cally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Cally, Thank you for stopping by and leaving such lovely comments. Best of luck learning to crochet, there are so many fantastic tutorials out there that I am sure you will find it very easy. Take care, Louise

      Delete
  4. Hi Louise
    Just realised the bag material is the same as the background on your blog. Glad your spirits are lifting, nothing like abit of sewing or crafting to lift the spirits, its seems so common these days, and I also have bouts from time to time, sometimes too often for my liking. Lovely family pics. I now officially have a sewing table/desk in my bedroom. Much prefer the table down stairs overlooking the garden, but at least everything is in one place now, and I can just leave things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise! I was sneaky and scanned this fabric to make my background :o). It is so assuring to know the dreaded black dog is everywhere, I've taken Dorothy's advice and decided to feel sorry for it!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I very much appreciate your comments.