Sunday, February 8, 2015

Feb 8 - Sunday Sewing with Spud









Since Spud has decided she doesn't like to wear her collar and since Charlie has decided Spud's collar makes a great chew toy (he has destroyed three in the last two weeks), Spud is no longer allowed outside - too many looneys in my neighborhood and too many missing cats.  Spud has therefore decided her every waking moment should involve investigating whatever it is I am trying to do.  I love her company when I wash the dishes or do the laundry, but so far the only thing she knows how to do when I am sewing is either sit on whatever I am working on or steal my pins.  Cat is obsessed with pulling the pins out of  my pincushion, which of course is not a good idea.
 



 
Despite Spud's help, I managed to baste the quilt I started way back when I broke my leg.  As I didn't have enough batting for the quilt and didn't want to buy any, I decided to baste it to a heavy white tablecloth I bought on sale years ago.  I was surprised how easily it went together, hardly any wrinkles when I topstitched the quilt, despite Spud being my only assistant when I laid the quilt top on the tablecloth and pinned them together.  I used a flea market find sewing machine the Mister bought me way back in the summer. I love Singer 128 blackside (all the decorative plates are painted black) from 1947.  It sews a beautiful slightly diagonal (but still straight) stitch.  Even though it is a vibrating shuttle, with the long bobbins that seem to constantly need refilling, I just love sewing on it. It sat at the flea market for months and months, with the wooden domed case firmly locked and seemingly un-openable.  It was a little overpriced for something I couldn't actually see, but when they slashed the price by 75% I decided it was worth the risk.  It came with it's own key, but the lock had been bent so it would just open with a turn of the key. It only took the Mister a few minutes to get the case open once we got it home.  A little oil, some cleaning and it was sewing right away. Not bad for being 68 years old.  Definitely worth every penny.
 
I was so happy for a day of sunshine today (we are having trying times with our neighbor again), I had the windows open and my lovely Spud helping me sew.  It was a great day.
 
I do hope all is well with you.
 
Toodles....L x ♥
 

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! The only singer I kept from my collection is my 128 a little bit older than your (over 100) not electrified but I love the stitch it makes. your quilt is lovely, sorry yo hear you are having difficulties with your neighbours :( .

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! The only singer I kept from my collection is my 128 a little bit older than your (over 100) not electrified but I love the stitch it makes. your quilt is lovely, sorry yo hear you are having difficulties with your neighbours :( .

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very patient with your cat, it would drive me crazy sitting on my work. Glad you're getting some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How like a cat! They just know how far they can go too don't they?!! Glad you had a bright day too as we did and were able to enjoy some fresh air - hopefully the neighbours didn't spoil it for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Singer too! I have about 6 of them, but not a matt black one like yours! Have you seen this site?

    http://www.tfsr.org/

    They refurbish Singers and send to Africa and have lots of info (including date and place of manufacture) about old Singer. Also info on refurbish and mending them.

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. quilt is looking good especially with the help of your assistant. We have sunshine for the second day running. Spring isn't far away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by, I very much appreciate your comments.